…Insists on fiscal transparency, cites BudgIT rankings
The Ekiti State Government has strongly refuted allegations of financial mismanagement and political persecution levelled against it by the campaign organisation of All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship aspirant, Hon. Kayode Ojo.
In a statement issued on Wednesday and signed by Rt. Hon. Taiwo Olatunbosun, Special Adviser to the Governor on Information, the government described the claims as baseless and defamatory, insisting that its financial dealings remain transparent and well-documented.
“The claim that over N286.23 billion in federal allocations and N70 billion in internally generated revenue have been mismanaged is false, misleading, and entirely unsubstantiated,” the statement read.
It added that Governor Biodun Abayomi Oyebanji’s administration has consistently made its financial records public, including audited financial statements, quarterly budget implementation reports, and procurement records, in line with the requirements of law and its commitments under the Open Government Partnership (OGP).
“This is why Ekiti State consistently ranks as the leading state in fiscal transparency and accountability, having taken first place in the last two quarterly assessments conducted by the respected BudgIT team,” Olatunbosun stated.
Responding to accusations that former governors were receiving monthly payments ranging from N50 million to N120 million, the statement said the allegation was “not only preposterous but defamatory,” challenging the Kayode Ojo Campaign to provide evidence to substantiate the claim.
“To allege that any bond was arranged in ‘connivance’ with private individuals and an illustrious former Governor of the State is completely unfounded. The claim that Ekiti State took a N90 billion bond is not only unsubstantiated but libellous,” the statement said, adding that the state’s domestic debt had dropped from N118 billion in September 2022 to N51 billion as of March 2025, reflecting prudent financial management.
The government also dismissed claims that security agencies were being deployed to harass political opponents, describing such assertions as damaging to the reputation of law enforcement officers working to curb crime.
“The allegation that supporters of a particular aspirant are being arrested for fictitious offences like kidnapping and armed robbery is completely false. Politicisation of serious security matters should be off limits. The Government of Ekiti State does not, and will never, direct security agencies to target any citizen for political reasons,” the statement declared.
On infrastructure development, it said road projects valued at more than N200 billion had been awarded across the state, covering 350 kilometres, with 126 kilometres already completed and the remainder at different stages of construction. It further noted that the Ado-Ekiti overhead bridge, which has been a focus of criticism, is now over 60 per cent complete and remains on track for delivery in the first quarter of 2026.
The statement also addressed workers’ welfare, revealing that the state spends an average of N5 billion monthly on salaries and pensions and had disbursed N11.8 billion to retirees in 2025. It added that Governor Oyebanji has been commended by labour unions for his willingness to engage with workers and his track record of honouring agreements.
On allegations of wasteful “endorsement rallies,” the government clarified that such gatherings were funded by voluntary organisations, trade unions, and grassroots associations, and not by state resources.
Reaffirming its commitment to fairness in the upcoming APC primaries, the government insisted that Governor Oyebanji had never described the election as a “do-or-die” affair and stressed that party supremacy and the will of the people would prevail.