Excitement In River State As Fubura’s Return Date Is Officially Revealed

0
10

Supporters of suspended Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, are expressing growing optimism as his anticipated return date of September 18, 2025 approaches. The date marks the end of the six-month emergency rule declared in the state.

Fubara’s media aide, Jerry Omatsogunwa, told The Punch that residents were eagerly awaiting the governor’s resumption of office “to continue the good work he was doing.”

“Expectations for the governor’s return are very high. He had been performing excellently before his suspension, with several projects ongoing, including the multi-billion-naira Port Harcourt Ring Road that cuts across six local government areas,” Omatsogunwa said.

He explained that Fubara’s comeback would help revive stalled projects such as the Ring Road, the Omoku–Elele Road, and the Trans-Kalabari Road. According to him, “From Monday, August 18, the countdown for the return of the most loved governor in Rivers State will begin.”

Background of the Suspension

On March 18, 2025, President Bola Tinubu declared a state of emergency in Rivers State, suspending Governor Fubara, his deputy, and members of the House of Assembly. The decision followed months of political crisis between Fubara and his predecessor, Nyesom Wike.

Following the declaration, retired Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas was appointed as Sole Administrator to restore stability in the state.

Emergency Administrator Speaks

Five months into his role, Ibas, through his media aide Hector Igbikiowubo, assured that he had no intention of extending his stay beyond the emergency period.

He confirmed that construction work on critical projects, including the new State House of Assembly complex, had reached advanced stages, with contractors already mobilised and working according to specifications.

“We are firmly committed to exiting office, which is why the National Assembly approved funding for RSIEC to proceed with the local government elections,” Igbikiowubo said.

He stressed that the emergency administration was faithfully implementing the mandate of the proclamation and would hand over once the six-month period lapses.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here