The Kaduna State Government has enrolled more than 15,000 vulnerable residents into its health insurance scheme as part of efforts to expand access to affordable and quality healthcare.
Governor Uba Sani, represented by his deputy, Dr. Hadiza Balarabe, disclosed this on Friday during the distribution of health insurance identity cards to pregnant women and children under five in Kaduna.
He said the initiative was designed to reduce financial barriers to healthcare and ensure inclusiveness, stressing that no citizen should be denied medical attention due to lack of funds.
“Since assumption of office, our priority has been to bring healthcare closer to the people, make it cheaper, and ensure better quality,” Sani said, noting that investments in the sector had already revitalised primary health centres and general hospitals across the state.
The governor credited the progress to strong partnerships with development agencies, communities, and donors such as UNICEF and the Gates Foundation. He gave special recognition to the Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI), which has enrolled over 20,000 women and other vulnerable persons into the scheme.
Sani also appreciated traditional rulers, philanthropists, and local organisations for supporting the initiative. However, he raised concern over Nigeria’s high out-of-pocket health expenditure, which he said places a heavy burden on poor households.
“Health insurance remains a vital bridge from vulnerability to security, and from exclusion to inclusion,” he added.
Commissioner for Health, Hajiya Umma Ahmad, described the enrolment as a bold step towards reducing maternal and child mortality in Kaduna. She said 10,916 beneficiaries had already been captured through CHAI’s support, with the scheme expected to improve access to maternal and child health services, strengthen primary healthcare facilities, and build a more resilient health system.