NSIB launches investigation as Abuja–Kaduna train derails, injuring six

0
3


By Seun Ibiyemi

The Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB) has confirmed that six passengers sustained injuries after a Kaduna-bound train derailed on Tuesday morning at kilometre 49, between Kubwa Station and Asham Station. The incident, which occurred at approximately 11:09 a.m., prompted the immediate deployment of investigators to the site to gather evidence, consult relevant stakeholders, and commence a full inquiry into the cause of the derailment.

In a statement signed by the NSIB Director of Public Affairs, Bimbo Olawumi Oladeji, the bureau said no fatalities were recorded, adding that a dedicated investigation team is already on-site.

“Current information indicates that six persons sustained injuries and there are no fatalities. A go-team has been deployed to the site to collect evidence, engage relevant stakeholders, and begin an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the derailment,” the statement read.

The bureau extended its sympathy to the injured and reassured all passengers of its commitment to a thorough probe. “The investigation will focus on identifying both the immediate and underlying causes of the derailment, with the goal of issuing safety recommendations to prevent future occurrences,” it added.

Director General of the NSIB, Captain Alex Badeh, while commenting through the same statement, said: “We deeply sympathise with all who sustained injuries. The Bureau has deployed investigators to the site to ensure the root cause of this derailment is uncovered. Our commitment is to ensure safer rail transport for Nigerians through a transparent and independent investigation.”

The NSIB further pledged to provide updates as the investigation progresses.

The derailment, which took place along one of the busiest rail corridors in the country, occurred shortly after the train departed Abuja for Kaduna. The incident caused panic among passengers, forcing many to flee the coaches in fear. Eyewitnesses described the scene as chaotic and frightening, with some passengers initially fearing a terrorist attack.

One passenger recounted: “The train went off the tracks without warning, and people started scrambling out of the cabins. There was a lot of confusion, and many thought it was another attack.”

The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) also confirmed the derailment, stating that emergency rescue teams, medical personnel, and nearby hospitals had been placed on alert while security agencies secured the scene.

In a statement signed by the NRC Managing Director, Kayode Opeifa, the corporation said: “The Nigerian Railway Corporation confirms a train derailment involving our Kaduna-bound AKTS train service at about 11:09 a.m. at kilometre 49, between Kubwa and Asham stations. Emergency medical personnel and hospitals have been mobilised. Security operatives are on ground, and efforts are ongoing to evacuate all passengers safely back to Abuja. Kindly bear with us at this moment.”

An eyewitness described the panic that followed the derailment: “It was total pandemonium. People were seen running in different directions because of fear that it could have been another terrorist attack. We cannot confirm if everyone is safe yet, but we pray all passengers come out alive.”

As investigators piece together evidence, authorities are working to restore calm and reassure the public of improved safety measures on the Abuja–Kaduna rail corridor, which has become a vital link between the Federal Capital Territory and the North-West.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here